Sunday, January 13, 2013

Golden Globe Awards 2013 Predictions

After the holidays are over, I always go into a mini depression.  The season goes so fast, and the partying/marathon eating never fails to leave me in a daze.  Exhausted and about five pounds heavier, I tend to hibernate in bed for the first couple of weeks in January.  Although this remained to be true this year, I managed to leave my house a few times to catch some of the critically-acclaimed movies of 2012.  I really enjoy awards season (for both the fashion and acting), and like to be somewhat informed about the nominees.  

I am particularly excited about the Golden Globes because of the hosts.  Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are hilarious, especially together (come on, Baby Mama? Classic).  I am pretty confident they will not disappoint.  

I have not seen every film/performance, so a lot of my predictions are based not only on what I have seen, but also what I have read and heard.  I really enjoy going to the movies, but find it difficult to sit in the theater without fidgeting for any longer than two hours.  Eventually I plan to at least see all of the major movies that were nominated.  I probably won't get around to every mini series or television show.

Here we go!

Best Motion Picture – Drama:
• Argo
• Django Unchained
• Life of Pi
Lincoln
• Zero Dark Thirty

I'd have to say that this is a toss up between Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty and Argo.  Although I did not see Lincoln (and wasn't that interested), it got a lot of Oscar attention and has a good shot at a Golden Globe.  For this same reason, the Golden Globe may go to Argo or Zero Dark Thirty instead.  I've seen the other films and enjoyed them both.  They were extremely intense and well-acted, keeping me at the edge of my seat for a majority of the movie.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture:
Jessica Chastain for "Zero Dark Thirty"
• Marion Cotillard for "Rust and Bone"
• Helen Mirren for "Hitchcock"
• Naomi Watts for "The Impossible"
• Rachel Weisz for "The Deep Blue Sea"
Jessica Chastain was a great choice for the role of Maya in Zero Dark Thirty.  Although I didn't catch the rest of these performances, Jessica managed to do really well in an emotionally challenging yet empowering role.  I hope to see the Impossible sometime this week, as I have read that Naomi's performance was strong as well.


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama:
Daniel Day-Lewis for "Lincoln"
• Richard Gere for "Arbitrage"
• John Hawkes for "The Sessions"
• Joaquin Phoenix for "The Master"
• Denzel Washington for "Flight"

I'm pretty confident Daniel Day-Lewis will take this one.  I'll have to find the patience to sit and watch this film later on-- apparently I am missing out.


Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
• The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 
• Les Miserables 
• Moonrise Kingdom
• Salmon Fishing in the Yemen 
Silver Linings Playbook

I think this award will be between Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook.  I will admit to being a tad biased, because I really loved Silver Linings and can't get myself to watch a movie with singing involved (even if everyone I talk to loved it).  


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical:
• Emily Blunt for "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen"
• Judy Dench for "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"
Jennifer Lawrence for "Silver Linings Playbook"
• Maggie Smith for "Quartet" 
• Meryl Streep for "Hope Springs"

Again, I really loved Silver Linings and I think Jennifer was great.  I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if Meryl won though...I enjoyed Hope Springs, and she is Meryl Streep after all.


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
• Jack Black for "Bernie"
Bradley Cooper for "Silver Linings Playbook"
• Hugh Jackman for "Les Miserables"
• Ewan McGregor for "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen"
• Bill Murray for "Hyde Park on Hudson"

I'm sure you are not surprised....

Although Hugh Jackman got rave reviews for Les Mis, so we'll see. 

Best Animated Feature Film:
• Brave
• Frankenweenie 
• Hotel Transylvania
• Rise of the Guardians 
Wreck-It Ralph

I did not see any of these, but really want to get around to watching Brave, Frankenweenie and Wreck-It Ralph at some point.

Best Foreign Language Film:
Armour (Austria) 
• A Royal Affair (Denmark)
• The Intouchables (France) 
• Kon-Tiki (Norway/UK/Denmark)
• Rust and Bone (France) 


Just a gut feeling.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture:
• Amy Adams for "The Master" 
• Sally Field for "Lincoln"
Anne Hathaway for "Les Miserables"
• Helen Hunt for "The Sessions"
• Nicole Kidman for "The Paperboy"

Although I don't like Anne Hathaway, for some reason I think she has this one.


Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture:
• Alan Arkin for "Argo"
Leonardo DiCaprio for "Django Unchained"
• Philip Seymour Hoffman for "The Master"
• Tommy Lee Jones for "Lincoln"
• Christoph Waltz for "Django Unchained"

Tommy Lee or Leo...especially because Leo didn't get the Oscar nom.  Alan Arkin was pretty good too, but I don't think he did enough to receive the Golden Globe.

Best Director – Motion Picture:
Ben Affleck for "Argo"
• Kathryn Bigelow for "Zero Dark Thirty"
• Ang Lee for "Life of Pi"
• Steven Spielberg for "Lincoln"
• Quentin Tarantino for "Django Unchained"

Ben Affleck deserves this.  He has definitely had some flops, but Argo was great.  It is a talent to be able to act, produce and direct.

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture:
• Mark Boal for "Zero Dark Thirty"
Tony Kushner for "Lincoln"
• David O. Russell for "Silver Linings"
• Quentin Tarantino for "Django Unchained " 
• Chris Terrio for "Argo"

I am not a Tarantino fan and haven't seen Lincoln.  This can go many ways, but I'll go with Lincoln.


Best Original Score – Motion Picture:
Mychael Danna for "Life of Pi"
• Alexandre Desplat for "Argo"
• Dario Marianelli for "Anna Karenina"
• Tom Tykwer and Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil for "Cloud Atlas"
• John Williams for "Lincoln"

I haven't seen any of these films except for Argo, so I can't even make an educated guess.  I'll pick blindly and go with Life of Pi.  This is another film that I will have to watch once it comes out of theaters.

Best Original Song – Motion Picture:

• "For You" from "Act of Valor"
• "Not Running Anymore" from "Stand Up Guys"
• "Safe & Sound" from "The Hunger Games"
"Skyfall" from "Skyfall" 
• "Suddenly" from "Les Miserables

I am 99% Adele's "Skyfall" will take this one.

Best Series Television- Drama:
• Breaking Bad 
• Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey: Season 2
• Homeland
• Newsroom
Homeland is pretty incredible, but I know Downton Abbey has a huge following.  This will be a close race.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series- Drama:
• Connie Britton NASHVILLE 
• Glenn Close DAMAGES
Claire Danes HOMELAND
• Michelle Dockery DOWNTON ABBEY: SEASON 2
• Julianna Margulies THE GOOD WIFE
I have a girl crush on Connie Britton, but Claire Danes is pretty great as Carrie on Homeland--even if she is all sorts of crazy.  Personally, I don't think she is doing too much acting.


Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series- Drama:
• Steve Buscemi BOARDWALK EMPIRE
• Bryan Cranston BREAKING BAD
• Jeff Daniels THE NEWSROOM
• Jon Hamm MAD MEN
Damian Lewis HOMELAND

This is also a difficult one.  I really loved Jeff Daniels in The Newsroom, but think this is between Damian Lewis and Bryan Cranston (I recently started watching Breaking Bad, and LOVE to hate Walt).  However, all of the nominees are very talented and deserving.

Best Television Series- Comedy or Musical:
• THE BIG BANG THEORY
• EPISODES 
• GIRLS 
• MODERN FAMILY
• SMASH 

I just really love Modern Family.  Phil is the bomb.


Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series- Comedy or Musical:
Zooey Deshanel NEW GIRL
• Julia Louis-Dreyfus VEEP
• Lena Dunham GIRLS
• Tina Fey 30 ROCK
• Amy Poehler PARKS AND RECREATION

I haven't seen it, but I've heard Girls is pretty good.  I'm sure this race is between Lena and Zooey.  Wouldn't it be great if Amy or Tina won though?  That would make for some interesting and comical banter between the hosts.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series- Comedy or Musical:
• Alec Baldwin 30 ROCK
• Don Cheadle HOUSE OF LIES
• Louis C.K. LOUIE
• Matt LeBlanc EPISODES
Jim Parsons THE BIG BANG THEORY

Big Bang has a steady following, and from the few episodes I have seen I find Parsons pretty witty.

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
• GAME CHANGE
• THE GIRL
HATFIELDS & MCCOYS
• THE HOUR
• POLITICAL ANIMALS
Blind guess.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
• Nicole Kidman HEMINGWAY & GELLHORN
• Jessica Lange AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM
• Sienna Miller THE GIRL
• Julianne Moore GAME CHANGE
• Sigourney Weaver POLITICAL ANIMALS

Jessica Lange was great in AHS season one, so I have no doubt that she has had a strong second season.  I can't wait to catch up when it is released on Netflix.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Kevin Costner HATFIELDS & MCCOYS
• Benedict Cumberbatch SHERLOCK (MASTERPIECE)
• Woody Harrelson GAME CHANGE
• Toby Jones THE GIRL
• Clive Owen HEMINGWAY & GELLHORN

Another blind guess.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
• Hayden Panettiere NASHVILLE
• Archie Panjabi THE GOOD WIFE
• Sarah Paulson GAME CHANGE
Maggie Smith DOWNTON ABBEY: SEASON 2 
• Sofia Vergara MODERN FAMILY

I think this is between Sofia and Maggie, but I don't know enough about Game Change or The Good Wife to be absolutely positive.



Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
• Max Greenfield NEW GIRL 
• Ed Harris GAME CHANGE
• Danny Huston MAGIC CITY
Mandy Patinkin HOMELAND
• Eric Stonestreet MODERN FAMILY

Mandy Patinkin is one of the main reasons I watch Homeland.  He had an incredible second season, and I really hope he wins this category.  However, once again I am not familiar enough with the other actors to be completely sure of what will happen.


Happy Golden Globes!

No comments:

Post a Comment