Tuesday, May 7, 2013

End of Semester Update

I cannot believe that I have only one week left of my spring semester.  Crazy how time flies, right?  This means I have only ONE semester left of college.  I don't really want to talk about it, I'm sort of in denial.  Who would ever want to leave a place that looks like this?


I know it has been a while since I last posted, so I figured I would take the time to update you on my life over the last few months.  After a long and exciting semester, my internship with the Marist College Center for Sports Communication is finally (and sadly) coming to an end.  I really enjoyed working with the other interns at the Center and learned a lot from my experience.  During my internship, I improved my writing skills, sharpened my research abilities and created and authored several posts on the Center's blog.  However, my favorite part of the internship was planning, executing and attending our guest speaker series. Throughout the semester, the Center hosted guest speakers in the field such as Sports Illustrated NBA/Boxing writer Chris Mannix, Jack Curry of the YES network and CBS Sports Radio host Brandon Tierney.  This week, we hosted the Associated Press Sports Editors Northeast Regional meeting at the College.  All day, the writers and editors hosted panels that were open to both the students and general public.  I specifically enjoyed the debate over whether or not writers/editors should have a vote in the baseball Hall of Fame. Even Jeff Edelson, the Hall of Fame President, sat in on the panel and provided his input.  When the conference broke for lunch, the interns and a select group of students had the opportunity to join the editors and writers for a reception at the Marist boat house.  At the lunch, I sat with Phil Pepe, longtime BBWAA member and New York Post baseball columnist Ken Davidoff.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Before heading back to the afternoon session of the conference, the students and our guests of honor took a quick trip to visit Marist's latest attraction:


Yes--it's just what it looks like! A giant head!  The crew coach at school saw the head floating in the Hudson and pulled it to the dock.  The story received a good amount of news coverage, making it a pretty big talking point at the college over the last couple of weeks.  The head has been hanging out right next to the boat house, which obviously creates a perfect photo-op for students relaxing by the river during this beautiful weather!

Speaking of the river and the beautiful weather, last week the Goo Goo Dolls visited Marist for our spring concert.  The Goo Goo Dolls were really good (I am a big fan!), and the show had a great turn out.  It was the perfect way to end the semester!


As sad as I am that the semester is over, I am excited to head home for what promises to be an amazing summer.  After a couple of weeks of much needed R&R, I will be starting my new job as a Marketing Communications intern at the NBA League Office!  I am SO excited to meet the other interns and start working with my department.  What better time to start an internship at the NBA than during the finals?!




No comments:

Post a Comment